SC - Cheap feasts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 13:33:56 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/24/99 5:11:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:

<< Yes, I want to,
 but costs are a factor I must always address.

 Frederich. >>

Ah, I see. However, remember that the meats that were most often expensive in
the Middle Ages are often those that are least expensive in the Current
Middle Ages thereby giving you the opportunity to create a meal fit for
nobility on a rational budget.

The first food that comes to mind is chicken which was prohibitively
expensive during the MA except to those who were relatively well off. Pigeon
is a food which is expensive in the CMA but was inexpensive during the former
MA. Rabbit, while not inexpensive was common in both the market place and on
the grounds of most manor houses.

The point I am trying to make here is that if the argument that feast budget
is a prime concern then the most expensive meats during the MA such as
chicken and beef are not necessarily so today.

Ras