SC - New World foods

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 05:03:40 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/15/99 10:26:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tollhase1 at aol.com writes:

<< I have always thought of Spanish moss as an air plant.>>

It is.

<<  Are Pineapples grown  the same way,>>

No. The key word in the description was 'usu.' (usually). 'Usually' does not
mean 'always'. Pineapples, although bromeliads, are not epiphytic. Out of the
9 bromeliads that I have in my personal collection only one is epiphytic.
Most like the pineapple can be grown in various soil mixtures. Pineapple is
also unique because it bears an edible inflorescence.

<< as a parasite on another plant>>

I am unaware of any bromeliads that are parasitic. Epiphytes often attach
themselves to other plants but they do not draw nourishment from the plant
they are attached to.

Ras