SC - was buffalo wings now spiedies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 16 10:30:31 PDT 1999

Angie Malone wrote:

> Good history about spiedies.  I live in the Southern Tier so I can add
> something which I was surprised wasn't mentioned.
>
> There is a spiedie festival, which involves lots of spiedies and other
> food, balloon rides.  It was started a while ago, and has turned into quite
> a tourist attraction to celebrate the birth place of spiedies.  I think it
> is around the time of Pennsic, I think the weekend before the NY state fair
> starts.

True, but I was going for, what constitutes for me, brevity. Yes, there
is a spiedie festival, and I believe it was originally connected to the
hot-air-ballon festival held somewhere in, I believe, Broome County.
Possibly enough interest justified a separate event.

> A most famous spiedie (and other general purpose) marinade is Salamida's
> marinade that is for sale in local stores here and maybe beyond.

I actually have a bottle of Salamida's marinade (also their
egg-yolk-based barbecue marinade, weird stuff like thin mayonnaise).
Imported, no less! ;  )

> There is a spiedie restaurant, (well ok. hole in the wall) called Lupo's
> charpit.  I think there is one in Binghamton and one in endicott, NY.

Binghamton and Endicott are extremely likely candidates. Endicott seems
to be where they originated in their current Americanized form. I'm a
big fan of Sharkey's, another hole-in-the-wall, this one in Binghamton,
which has won the spiedie cookoff at the state fair several years
running. I'm not sure if they currently hold the title. Sharkey's is the
only restaurant where I've ever been served steamed shellfish on a
plastic cafeteria tray lined with waxed paper. Of course, after a
pitcher or two of F.X. Matt's dark, one doesn't worry about such things.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com