SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Sep 19 19:39:18 PDT 1999

Rings in boar swines' noses were originally used to prevent the animal from
rooting things up, and in both species for control. I'm not even going to
address the idiots who refuse to train an animal properly and put multiples
in animal's noses, thinking that will give extra control- it doesn't- it
just tells anyone who knows anything that the owner is an idiot, and doesn't
know how to handle animals.

Stefan said:

>Is there any evidence that nose rings for animals were used in this way in
period? I'm thinking of animals other than the horse since I imagine the
bit works in a similar way. <

As I said they were originally used in pigs to prevent rooting- I don't know
how period the practise is, although it wouldn't surprise me because many
animal husbandry techniques I consider barbarous originated then.

As far as bits go, it's true that many people will use a stronger bit on a
horse's mouth if they feel they need more control, but there are very few
horses which actually would need them if they were properly trained. What
happens is that people get impatient, harden the animal's mouth against
pain, then go to a stronger bit to make up for their own mishandling. I've
worked with a number of young horses of my own, including Arabs and
stallions, and never needed more than a snaffle- and not a nasty one either.
My personal preference is actually a hackamore, a bitless bridle.

Granted some animals need a little more restraint than others, but patience
and communication does far more than trying to beat them into submission
ever has- it's just that application of pain yields quick results for the
lazy and ignorant.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio