SC - Wild Boar REC ?OOP

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Sep 20 06:01:43 PDT 1999

Ras said:

>I beg to differ. <

Feel free.

> And I would remind you the flaming is a no-no on this list. <

I don't recall that expressing an opinion on improper husbandry practices is
flaming.

>My family was very responsible in the way they both raised and cared for
their animals and I resent any implication that we were otherwise. To judge
past animal husbandry practices by those that have only become common in the
past few years is ludicrous. We raised and treated our animals in the most
humane way known and accepted at the time. I am offended deeply. :-( <

Please feel free. I am not and was not specificly referring to you and your
family, but rather to the entire body of husbandry practices which says that
if a little bit of poor practice is good, a lot more is better. As small
holders, you and your family would have had every reason to have the time
and put out the effort to manage your animals properly. Most smallholders
cannot afford to go out and buy a blooded bull or boar, and consequently pay
stud fees- if they get a bull calf or boar piglet, they'd tend to want to
handle them and work with them more, simply because they're so valuable.
Adding rings to their noses is sheer overkill. I could see getting an animal
from another farm in its sexual/reproductive maturity which had been handled
improperly, but I'm also aware that modern breeders are breeding for
temperment as well as physical perfection- nowadays, a vicious or unruly
animal rapidly becomes dinner.

If you choose to take my general comments on poor husbandry practices as a
personal attack, that is entirely your affair, however I think you know
perfectly well that if I have something to say to you personally I'm quite
capable of posting you privately.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio