SC - prices in 1520

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Sep 22 21:36:09 PDT 1999

</color>> >  To my knowledge, Troy measure was not used for measuring

In Spain the Troy pound was used for spices.  The quote below comes
from De Nola (1529), and follows the recipe for a spice mixture:

</color>"And the weights of the spices in the apothecary shops are in this
manner: one pound is twelve ounces; one ounce, eight drachmas; one
drachma, three scruples: another way that you can more clearly
understand this: a drachma weights three <italic>dineros</italic>; a scruple is the
weight of one <italic>dinero</italic>; and a scruple is twenty grains of wheat."

Brighid

<nofill>
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)