SC - Ham

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 07:22:39 PDT 1999

>usage of the term, but may not currently be so, going by popular
>consensus. (My lady wife insists the language I speak is no more English
>than a mesohippus is a modern horse, and while an idealist would prefer
>the language to remain in a form he/she can handle, a realist would
>admit that it changes.)

She's right though *grins*

>I do think, though, that it's been demonstrated that while ham is indeed
>the anatomical portion you mention, (with the possible exception of
>picnic hams and Bath Chap hams, which are basically fake hams made from
>other cuts of pork, and so called because the intent is to evoke ham,
>I'm not aware of any other cut of meat that is called ham, while bacon
>can be just about anything) other animals outside the suidae family can
>provide hams, including deer, mutton, bear, and even dog.

It's just what it is most commonly associated with.  You don't see the
others on the market or they have another name for the cut.  Also, ham is
the most purchased type of pig meat in the country.  I've actually had a
mutton ham once and a deer ham.

If you want to see another coop of a name, follow the history of catsup from
Indian mushroom relish to American tomato liquid.

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"I am the wyrm that hides
the universal secret of all time
Destruction of the empty spaces
is my one and only crime"