SC - bacteria

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Fri Sep 24 07:57:47 PDT 1999

I guess there's safety and then there's safety, like the fact that
trichinosis is killed at an internal temperature of 137 degrees F. (140
being a standard temp for rare meat), but many books still advocate
cooking pork to an internal temperature of 190 degrees F.

Alternately, could this be the equivalent of setting an oven temperature
to get a lower internal temperature? 290 degree air to get 168 or more
inside your meat?

It occurs to me that if this were really such a big deal, why is cold
smoking, with temperatures above 40 degrees F but below 140 degrees F,
not illegal, with all the silly stuff they're legislating to effectively
outlaw rare meat and edibly soft eggs in many parts of the U.S.?

Adamantius
- - --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com

Mayhap my presumption that bacteria is bacteria is bacteria was a bit hasty?
We use 168 to ensure that all critters and water borne bacteria are
destroyed, but I've never heard of seawater as being a trichinosis carrier,
or carrier of any of the other food borne bacteria either.  Perhaps diferent
bacteria:different temps?  Dunno, we are rapidly exceeding my level of
knowledge here.  Regarding cold smoking, I was always uinder the impression
that the smoke itself, or rather the resins and tannins carried into the
food with the smoke were equally adept at destroying the bacteria as
temperatures.  Additionally, I recall hearing on some food show, or seeing
it in an article I read, the memory is fading fast, but I have heard that
trichinosis is not such a worry as it used to be, and hence the resurgence
in popularity of rare pork here in the states.  I thought the claim rather
curious, but again, have too little knowledge on the subject of microbiology
and bacteria to discuss it intelligently.  Comments/enlightenment anyone?

Regards, Puck