SC - Blackberry/Apple Pie

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Sep 26 20:42:53 PDT 1999

At 12:13 AM -0400 9/27/99, ChannonM at aol.com wrote:
>Since I don''t know which Celts you are talking about and what time, I'll
>assume (watch it there) that they are Irish, Scottish or in that area and
>most likely early period (pre 12 C).

>Here is an adaption of a recipe that originally used sugar,  instead of
>honey. Honey can be substituted for sugar at 1cup honey:1.25 sugar (white) or
> .8 of a cup to 1 cup sugar.
>
>Combine 5 cups fruit (if necessary peel, core & chop/slice) with 3 Tblsp honey
>Place in an oven proof dish
>Separately combine,
>1/2 cup regular rolled oats

Rolled oats are a modern invention. Would the recipe work with whole oats
or oatmeal in the old sense?

Also, can you think of any period recipes that are reasonably similar to
this? Taking a modern recipe and substituting period ingredients isn't a
very reliable way of getting a period recipe, since lots of things other
than ingredients change over time.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/