SC - Blackberry/Apple Pie

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 15:17:02 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>  I realize this in out of period by a landslide, however when I began
>  researching early Celtic foods, my understanding was that there was no
>  written recipes and that much of what we call reproducing a Celtic feast
was
>  by inferrence using archeological sources, literary sources and knowledge
of
>  foods that existed in that area at that time. This leaves a great deal to
be
>  desired for cooking purists and obviously there is more out there about
this
>  period that can be dug up. I look forward to learning more.:)

Firstly,
Having been born and raised in Wales, as an addition to the above, I believe
that some of the dishes we have had handed down from mother to daughter, and
still make and eat, are likely to have been eaten in period.  Certainly I
feel this goes for Cawl in some form and for the dishes cooked on bakestones
- - as well as a few others e.g. Bara Brith.  However, (again) we do not have
written documentation for this AFAIK. :-(

Secondly,
I have a question on the topic of pies.

When were the first pies/tarts documented as being made?  If the earliest of
these is later than the period the Lady with the original request is looking
at dishes for, then perhaps another earlier form of fruit/grain
(documentable) dish would better suit her purpose than a Blackberry and Apple
Tart?  Just a thought. :-)

Elysant
p.s. - Our version (Southern Powys) of the Blackberries picked after the
Celtic New Year saying is that if you pick blackberries in October they have
the devil in them.