SC - bread in potjies

Tue Sep 28 06:46:21 PDT 1999

If it's like some of my recipes, it goes like this:  1 to 2 cups of water
(maybe), add sugar, honey, etc. if desired, dissolve in the water, cream the
yeast (the amount that looks right) in the water,  add a couple of handfuls
of flour, sprinkle in an appropriate amount of salt (somewhere between a
teaspoon and a tablespoon, add oil, softened butter, etc, if desired,
whatever feels right, stir, keep adding flour a little at a time until the
dough forms a ball, turn out on a floured surface and knead, adding flour as
necessary, until the dough feels right, rise, punch down, shape, rise, bake
around 400 F for 40 to 60 minutes until done.

For small quantities, I use the feel of the dough as my guide.  For large
quantities, I try to be precise, sometimes with abysmal results.

Bear