Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: Mourning Song (FWD)

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:02:27 PDT 1999

>This is also a phenomenon in  North Central PA, at least in my >family. The
>current custom is that each mourner brings a dish to >pass (usually a
>casserole of some sort) so that the bereaved family >does not have to deal
>with providing food to large numbers of well >ishers and other concerned
>guests. The 'funeral' feast usually >starts the day after death and
>continues until the departed is laid >to rest with everyone gathering after
>the funeral at which point all >the various food stuffs are laid out on a
>table for anyone to eat.

Being from the same area, and having had to endure two family funerals in
the past year, and also from being Irish by blood.

The funeral feast is kinda like a wake, it's not a somber thing, usually.
It's more of a get together where friends and family reaffirm ties and
friendships and remember the passing of the departed.  You can't really have
wakes since we are now quite sure that the people are dead when they're
dead.

Cadoc