SC - Dark Breads revisited-mostly OT

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 16:54:01 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

Sometime ago there was a discussion of how dark breads were colored to
achieve there tint without the use of molasses or coca powder.

Last night while I was baking bread to alive my migraine, I had a happy
accident.  I threw in some nuts, various whole grains, etc., and some raisins
since it would be eaten hot for breakfast.  Please note I was using a
breadmaker, throw the stuff in and forget it.  Wake up to the smell or fresh
bread.  Anyway, I put the stuff in after the first Kneading and prior to the
second.  The machine so thoroughly blended the raisins during the punch down
phase, that we had no whole pieces left, just a dark rye color.  The bread
tasted like a subtle sweet raisin with a nice nutty flavor from the sunflower
and sesame seeds.

Thought some of you might be interested.  Are their perchance bread recipes
out there that call for raisins that we may have misinterpreted?

Thanks,

Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhase

Ps getting another migraine, hmm what will I fix tonight?