SC - Abso-Floggin'-Lutely OT - Re: Funeral Feasts

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Sep 30 07:49:34 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/30/99 1:16:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Elysant at aol.com
writes:

<< eerrr.... actually, in Wales we do still think that if a wild bird flies
into
 the house
 there will shortly be a death associated in some way with one of the people
 who
 live (or work) there.  (And yes I've seen it happen too - more than once).

Here in the hinter lands (jokingly),  we still comment that if a bird flies
into a window (not necessarily through the window) it signifies an imminent
death  BIG OMEN,  comes to mind. Now I'm not so sure where that originates in
my family as my back ground is Irish (good old "morrigan" stories),
French-Metis Canadian (the crow is symbolic to our ideas of death and
delivery of messages), Catholic (oh now, be gentle on the poor little
religion. Not being of the Catholic Church anylonger, I was still raised in
it's mindset). I imagine that there are many more cultural issues. I think
that if I was to pull out some Jungian theory, we'd see the bird as an
archetypal symbol of messenger (look at that dove thing going on in the Bible)

Hauviette