Let them eat fish! was Re: SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?

Jeanne Stapleton apiskp at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 09:27:54 PDT 1999

> For the perioide feast at Council of Crowns we had a
> few years back, we
> served salmon and steamed mussels to great applause,
> and these were the
> Kigns and Queens of the Known World (ie fighters and
> their gals). We also
> served asparagus and notorious fortune cookies, but
> that's another story :).

...and it was *excellent*, as this satisfied consumer
can state.  The poached salmon made into a dragon
with cucumber scales was particularly fetching.

> But then, we get requests for seconds on salat, for
> gawds sake :).

Rorik did say, "Why are their flowers in my salad?"
but I ate all of mine and all of his.  Again,
excellent.

> So I would say that SCA people will eat fish, but I
> would suggest that it
> not be the only meat, so those true carnivores out
> there can skip it and
> still have a nice meal.

Most people I personally know will relish well-
prepared salmon.  I know a few who won't touch any
kind of fish, even canned tuna, but they tend to
also be the ones who don't like any but the very
blandest of food.

Berengaria