Sauces on fish (was Re: SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Thu Sep 30 09:59:36 PDT 1999

I have made several versions of Sawse Verde to be served on simply baked or poached fish or chicken breasts.  It is truly well received as is a good cameline (though more for meats than fish).  The saucing and/or spicing is going to be your biggest ally (or enemy) in encouraging diners to accept a concept new to your area.

If your people generally don't eat fish, try a good sauce on simple filets and see what you get.  The Medieval Kitchen as well as Pleyn Delite and several other sources have redacted sauces to try.  you may even appeal to the humorally inclined (that would be of the 4 humors) as sauces may be used to balance foods to be healthier.

pacem et bonum.
niccolo difrancesco

And it came to pass on 26 Sep 99,, that ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> However, unsauced, non breaded or deep
> fried fish is not what I have seen as beeing welcomed at feasts and I
> guess that's what I was alluding to. I'll try to be more specific in the
> future

The French, Spanish, and Italian cookbooks all have recipes for grilled
fish.  They are served with sauces that are flavorful, with ingredients like
bread, verjuice or vinegar, herbs and/or garlic, and are often low-fat (and
where oil is added, it would be the heart-healthy olive oil).  I have not yet
had an opportunity to serve fish at a feast, but I think I will give it a try
next time.

Brighid
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)