SC - Hippocras (was: Stefan's recent wafer experiment)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Sep 30 13:54:32 PDT 1999

At 10:53 PM -0400 9/29/99, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/29/99 9:28:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
>writes:
>
><< "A sixth" (probably of a pound:  2 2/3 oz) >>
>
>How many 'cups' does this amount of spice make? IIRC, earlier in the
>manuscript a sixth is clearly defined as a sixth of a gallon or later, in the
>same passage, as a pint.
>
>Ras

For most ground spices, an ounce comes to about 3 tablespoons--I haven't
done the experiment recently with either nutmeg or galingale, but that's
probably about right. Given that the quantities for spices in this recipe
are "a quarter" or "a sixth" or "an ounce", I believe that they are all
weight measures and that the fractions are of a pound--although some people
have interpreted that as fractions of an ounce.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook