SC - wafers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 30 21:30:58 PDT 1999

Hauviette gave her recipe for wafers and said:
> This too did tend to brown, and I thought about using white wine, but the
> flavour was soooo much better with red. I incorporated the oil into the
> batter, this relieved any sticking issues and I never had to oil the iron.
> However, this was a teflon iron, which may have helped although in my early
> trials, they stuck anyway. In making these waffles for 150 people, the day
> before, I knew that re-oiling the iron was going to be very time consuming.
> However the end result was everyone enjoyed them and I was not worse for wear.

Thanks for your recipe.

Did your wafers brown in blotches or evenly overall?

You cooked the wafers the day before the feast? How did you serve them? Did
you serve them cool? I had gotten the idea that wafers should be served
warm and fresh, so I hadn't considered it workable for a normal SCA feast.
One of the reasons I decided to attempt wafers for this meal was that I'm only
cooking for 12 or so.

I'm also interested in decorative ways to serve these wafers and hypoccras
since I'm serving the King and Queen and our past barons and baronesses.
Should I just stack the flat wafers on a plate? Roll the wafers into tubes?
Use a divided plate with the wafers, dried fruits and comfits in different
sections? Put each type of item on seperate smallish plates and bowls?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****