SC - Greetings...

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 1 03:17:55 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/31/00 7:10:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

>  Almond milk, per se, doesn't really thicken other liquids. It will,
>  however, get pretty thick if you reduce it by simmering.

I think Adamantius is right.  Almond milk is a key ingredient in Blancmange,
and even that has to have the help of gelatine, isinglass or (more mundanely)
cornstarch to thicken properly.  The longer you leave the finely ground
almonds in the liquid prior to cooking though (allowing them to swell), the
more benefit you will recieve.  Almond flour will work well, though I don't
know if it was used in era.  Anyone have reference to it?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.