Duke's powder (was Re: SC - saffron)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 2 00:06:21 PST 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor asked:
> Does anyone have a reference to Hippocras which includes Angelica (either
> crystalized, fresh or powdered)?  I know that Angelica was brought to
> northern Europe by the Vikings, and would love to make some of this stuff for
> Darkwell.

I have searched through my spiced-wine-msg file and don't see any
mentions of Angelica, but it is hardly comprehensive.

You might be interested in this new file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section:
angelica-mag      (13K) 12/29/99    Period use of Angelica. Recipes.

I don't know that the Norse, at least in their home countries, drank
wine or hippocras (spiced wine), though. I would think that beers and
meads would be much more likely. The wine would have to be imported
and hippocras often seems to have been made from the lower quality
wines. Why import low quality wines?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net