SC - Re: Raw Scallions was garlic

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sun Apr 2 07:29:16 PDT 2000

- ------------APFM26201270

I have taken this wholesale from Cariadoc's Miscellany - it is the recipe I use to make my "Baron's Blood" (by appointment to Her Exellency Miriam d' Mont Noir - luckily the Baron likes a joke!  He seemed impressed by the label on the bottle I gave him for his birthday.

"Sekanjabin
Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add 1 cup wine vinegar. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful of mint, remove from fire, let cool. Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The syrup stores without refrigeration.

Note: This is the only recipe in the Miscelleny that is based on a modern source: A Book of Middle Eastern Food, by Claudia Roden. Sekanjabin is a period drink; it is mentioned in the Fihrist of al-Nadim, which was written in the tenth century. The only period recipe I have found for it (in the Andalusian cookbook) is called "Sekanjabin Simple" and omits the mint. It is one of a large variety of similar drinks described in that cookbook-flavored syrups intended to be diluted in either hot or cold water before drinking."

Oh, Ynys Fawr is Tasmania and one of our cantons - Hunter's Isle - have linked with Ynys Gwaed.

Gwynydd

At 2000-04-02 09:27:08.500001,
Black Jade (Black_Jade at bigpond.com) wrote:
> >Orin asked:
> >>
> >> M'Lady Mordonna,
> >>
> >> Could you please provide your recipe for "sekanjabin"?  I had a
> recipe some
> >> time ago, and it looked delicious, but before I had the
> opportunity to print
> >> it and try it, the demons of the ether attacked my scribe, and
> all was lost!
> >
> Email the Lady Gwynydd of Culloden.  I tried her senkajabin
> yesterday and
> it was to DIE for.  I know we have the recipe on the Ynys Fawr
> website, but
> have misplaced the URL since the Email and web hosting changeover.
>  Milady
> Gwynydd, could you perhaps supply the URL so I, and anyone else
> may have a
> butchers at it?
> -Katerine

> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM26201270--