SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 20:44:16 PDT 2000

Not a dumb question at all Magdalena!  I'm rather red-faced for not checking
the recipe.  For Passover you would omit the bread crumbs and use 6 T of
matzoh meal instead.  Matzoh meal containing no levening agent of course.
You _could_ use ground up matzoh in place ot the meal, just be sure it is
ground up very fine!
<<
 > NIGELLA ALMORI
 > (makes about 3/4 C)
 > 3 T matzoh meal         1 T caraway seeds
 > 3 T bread crumbs            1 t fenugreek
 > 2 T salt                1 t anise
 > 1 T Nigella*                1 ½ t cinnamon
 > 1 t thyme               1 t corriander seeds

because corn can be made into bread >>>
No, corn products are out because they *appear* to rise (IE, get bigger when
cooked)  Over the course of the Middle Ages a lot of rules were made called
*minhag*  (custom) to assure that people would not break the basic rule.
(It's called *Fences around the Torah, but let's not go there.. it's late)
Anyway foods that *appear* to rise, ie, get bigger such as rice, beans, corn
are not eaten during the Passover.

>>>I have a recipe that contains no inherently unkosher ingredients except
that one.  Does anybody know if I could substitute simple syrup, or some
other sugar
 product?>>>
What? Corn syrup?  If the item is intended as a sweetener, just substitute
another sweetener.
Phillipa Seton

 Thank you,
 Magdalena vander Brugghe