SC - molasses

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 21:25:01 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/3/00 9:13:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ChannonM at aol.com
writes:

<< I do note that the confectioner's sugar doesn't' include the
 cornstarch though. >>

On our recent supermarket trip, I only noticed one single brand of
confectionery sugar that listed cornstarch as an ingredient. The use of
cornstarch in icing sugar seems to be a rather rare phenomenon, an exception
to the rule, rather than the norm.

I think the article does have some merit and that your worry about
'cornstarch' is really disproportionate to the actual cases of it's use. At
best, the widespread use of cornstarch as an additional ingredient in
confectionery sugar seems to be a phenomenon localized in your particular
area. As with any other product, it would be remiss for the cook to not read
the ingredients label when purchasing a sugar of this nature for use in
re-creation cooking. It would also appear that it would be very easy to avoid
a confectionery sugar containing cornstarch since it's use is neither
universal nor as common as you presuppose it to be.

On an even more practical level, the use of purified salt with anti-caking
agents is not an issue so likewise the use of confectionery sugar containing
cornstarch should not be of any concern other than to the cook who has
his/her own feelings of which contaminates in any product they will tolerate.

To put it another way, in recipes salt is listed as salt, 10x sugar by any of
several names. The individual uses whatever brand is a favorite at the moment
in most cases. Such factors, unless you have changed your policies
drastically, are well outside the purpose of the Flori-thingy as I understand
it, especially in regard to articles of such a generic nature as the sugar
article.

Ras