OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 23:34:40 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/3/00 10:33:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Black_Jade at bigpond.com writes:

>   Don't ever suggest using an industrial sized vat of Yellow #5 for medieval
>  re-enactment. To do so is incorrect.

"Don't ever suggest"???  Okay, Mom....

 >We concentrate on re-creating to the
>  best of our ability various recipes.

Bully for you.  I, on the other hand, will not blindly follow ANY written
recipe if I know that the end result is going to taste like swill.  That's
what seperates us, I guess.

>  If a recipe calls for saffron, use
>  it.

I'll decide what I do or do not put into a recipe, thank you very much.

 >The Yellow #5 will give you the colour, but not the taste.

Though my comment regarding the Yellow #5 was originally meant to be
tongue-in-cheek, it is BECAUSE of the taste that I would even consider using
it as a saffron replacement.  News Flash!!  I do not like saffron.

>  I had some beautiful honey and saffron tarts on Saturday (Lorix, recipe
>  please) and your ention of using tumeric sent shiver up and down my spine.

Well, I guess it is a good thing the cook didn't use turmeric, then, eh?  I
am so very happy that you love saffron.  There are thousands of under paid
field workers who share this happiness, too, I would imagine.  However, my
tastebuds are quite content with the fact that I do not.

Thank you for your comments.

Balthazar of Blackmoor