SC - long-life milk

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 00:12:20 PDT 2000

>Well, I guess it is a good thing the cook didn't use turmeric, then,
>eh?  I  am so very happy that you love saffron.  There are thousands
>of under paid field workers who share this happiness, too, I would
>imagine.  However, my tastebuds are quite content with the fact that
>I do not.
>
>Thank you for your comments.
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

Although Balthazar's post was a tad rude,  (Naughty, Naughty
Balthazar. No scrummy Tim Tams, Anzac biscuits, or Lammingtons for
you...) he does have one point.

The Brits have introduced a scheme called Freetrade.  It is a stamp of
approval on products that meet it's standards.  It seems that some
commodities (3 I know of are Mace, Saffron, & Cocoa beans) have wildly
varying market prices and the grower recieves a very poor (and
sometimes unsustainable) price for the product.  Freetrade encourages
the growers to form co-operatives (for mutual assistance &
co-operation), buys the commodities at a stable and fair price and
uses the commodity in quality products with the Freetrade stamp of
approval.

If only they had that here in Australia.  I'd pay an extra dollar for
my bar of nice and scrummy chocolate if I knew I wasn't indirectly
causing hardship to some grower in Nigeria or Dominica, etc.  Maybe
this might require less foreign aid to be sent.  I feel that western
governments are giving with one hand and taking with another.  Gees,
it feels wierd saying BUY Expensive, it'll make you feel better...but
there you are.  RANT MODE OFF!

The article was in one of last year's Food Illustrated's mags.  Wil
find more info if anyone is interested...

My 2c worth anyway.

Cheers,

Drake.