SC - Greetings...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 4 04:14:10 PDT 2000

Black Jade wrote:

> >>  compost   (glassrey saill)

> >The feast sounds fabulous....but I have one concern regarding the third dish
> >in the second course....How long had this been sitting around?

> I'm HOPING that they meant to write compot or something along that vein of
> thought.  Although I guess compost is period too.  ;-)
> Recipes???
> -Katerine, grinning evilly and running for The Rock

You guys are a laff riot, I tell you!

Compost is a mixed pickle, usually, but not always, made from mixed
fruits, vegetables, and sometimes immature nuts, usually in a sauce made
from honey, white wine, vinegar, mustard and other spices. Including,
Balthazar, saffron, much of the time. Think of Italian mustard-fruits.
Recipes for this, or something similar to it, occur in Apicius and
several 14th-century English, French, and German sources, among others.

Adamantius, blindly groping for the tea cup
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com