SC - Alternate words for Feastcrat

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Apr 4 12:42:49 PDT 2000

When I see "strange things" at events I do what I think my persona would have
done:   Thought the people "idiots" (OE definition), ill, from somwhere I
have never been, etc.  If they were REALLY strange I might seek out the
nearest Priest or Religious Person and bring it to their attention... and
since we do NOT have "a lot" of "religious personas" in the SCA (and for good
reason)... I might be looking for quite a while.

Rayne

baronsig at peganet.com writes:

<< > If the Xena Wannabe walks out into the lyst, invokes Aries, and procedes
 > Kick, Yipyipyipyip!, flip, and Hyah! I think you would not expect
 > tolerance of this behaviour, right?

     Well, after the guys get their tongues out of the dirt, I dunno, there .
 . . Sounds to me like it could be an awesomely effective diversionary
 tactic - by the time the other side gets their codpieces adjusted, they
 could be flat overrun!

 > If the Tolkein Fan Dons Elf ears, and tries to insist his sword is
 magically
 > augmented, and should count for double blows in the lists, I think that
 there > would be little toleration, don't you?

     No prob! You smack me, I'll smack you, we'll see who's got magically
 augmented what, ya hairy toed li'l twerp!

 > The point is if they come to the SCA events, they tacitly agree to play
 the _SCA's_
 > "game". How much toleration they might expect will depend on the level
 > of departure from that game that they evidence in the SCA context.
 > This also goes for Non-period and "Non-European-Contact" personas.
 > An Amerindian persona will not be as "tolerated" in the native dress, as
 > much as they would if wore european garb.

     You should have seen the Aztec who showed up at one of our feasts about
 15 years ago in a full circle, floor length feathered cloak, (god only knows
 how many naked parrots were out there as a result) jade & leather
 breastplate & headdress, and obsidian dagger. He got NO arguments!

 > There are isolated exceptions in the SCA, of course, such as  Sir Ix of
 the Mid,
 > for example, but these are usually so well researched and well documented,
 > that no argument can be made. in effect they are aggressively
 counterdocumented.
 > (That is extremely rare)
 > Oddly enough, the period examples of Amerindian Peoples at European courts
 > did indeed wear local european dress, and not native dress, except for
 specific
 > presentations. From the accounts I have read, the Amerindians were
 > fascinated with European clothes and often traded for them, even those who
 > did not go to Europe.

     Sort of like the Japanese who are into the 1950's greaser look, and
 [snicker] cowboys . . . (hello, pilgrim, I'm Deadeye Yamaguchi . . .)

 > So that is a perfectly period practice.

     Aie! Bloody tourists!