SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 18:19:53 PDT 2000

JGedney at dictaphone.com writes:

> What the name was never designed for was to be used to justify calling
>  Phillie Cheese steaks period, just because all the ingredients existed
> before
>  1601, and hundreds of other similar invocations, ranging from "elves" at
>  events to Peg-legged-Long-John-Silver-wannabe "pyrates", to singing
>  rockabilly ballads at events.

I never suggested that the name was a blanket cover for allowing non-period
influences into the Society.  However, I will stick to my guns and reiterate
that making substitutions (again, using ingredients available "in period") is
period.  It may not be "documentable", but it is period.  Perhaps we should
refer to strictly followed medieval recipes as "documentable historical
re-creations", rather than "period recipes".  I think the vast majority of
SCA cooks out there know better than to try to pass a Patty Melt or Western
Bacon Cheeseburger off as "period".  And, if it makes people happy, I have no
problem calling altered period recipes "period style", either.  So long as
they are not called "non-period" or "out of period" or any other negative
monicker.  Because they aren't.

Just my buck-and-a-quarter
Balthazar of Blackmoor