SC - Period Dining Atmosphere (Was RE: Saffron)

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 18:19:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/4/00 10:14:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
JGedney at dictaphone.com writes:

> Come on now, which of you joined the SCA because it had an "atmosphere"
>   that evoked the romance of the Middle ages?  I did.
>
>  Does does a 14th century Saracen dish on the table add to that atmosphere?
>  I think so.
>  Does  a 20th century American dish on the table add to that atmosphere?
>  I think not.
>
>  Even if it _is_ "creative".

I don't think anyone on this list is suggesting it is "period" to serve
Kentucky Fried Chicken at a medieval feast.  The point I have been trying
(unsuccessfully) to make is that simple substitutions to documentable recipes
should be "allowed", without the threat of the Gendarme de Cuisine rushing
you off to the "O.O.P. Gulag".  Of course, if you claim that your dish is
prepared verbatim from the "Official Manual of Age Old Recipes" or some such,
and it is obviously a Fish and More platter from Long John Silvers, then
yeah, maybe someone could have reason to be skeptical.

I think that there are many people in our beloved Society who would be more
than willing to sit at table and feast on "period style" dishes, without
raising a stink about documentable sources and whatnot.  It's those who
cannot abide even the slightest deviation who tend to spoil it for the rest
of us, and hurt feelings in the process.

So, does a 14th century Saracen dish which contains safflower rather than
saffron detract from our much adored atmosphere?  Nope.

Just my observations,
Balthazar of Blackmoor