SC - 12th C Irish Feast- Notes and recipes

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Apr 4 21:02:58 PDT 2000

<<I don't think anyone on this list is suggesting it is "period" to serve Kentucky Fried Chicken at a medieval feast.  The point I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to make is that simple substitutions to documentable recipes should be "allowed", without the threat of the Gendarme de Cuisine rushing you off to the "O.O.P. Gulag".
 <<<SNIP>>>
So, does a 14th century Saracen dish which contains safflower rather than saffron detract from our much adored atmosphere?  Nope. >>>>>

First, I'd like to mention that I ahev a tertiary source that describes a recipe of battered and fried chicken pieces in China during the Medieval era of Europe :o)

Second, I agree with the point about not detracting from the atmosphere.  It probably should not be advertised as a medieval dish, but can surely add something to the atmosphere.  There is acontinuum along which we all fall in our attempts to approach historical cookery as it was done.  My approach is to urge persons involved in historical cookery, especiallyin SCA, to challenge themselves whenever possible to take a step toward the more accurate end.  To whatever means realistic within budget, time constraints, knowledge and resources, we shouyld challenge ourselves to approach historical accuracy whenever we can.  Cooking is a lot like music; you have to know the fundamentals in your sleep before the improvisation ends up fitting the piece being played.  (OOP) Louis armstrong, Blind Willie McTell and Eric Clapton are master improvisationalists because they know the fundamentals in there souls.

Cooks can provide a good feed and plenty of it, and be applauded for their efforts.  Those who can and do provide a good feed and plenty of it while working within the realm of historical accuracy provide an added value and benefit to the participants of our hobby.

niccolo difrancesco

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow is a cholesterol screening :o)