SC - Re Gerard's Herbal

Acanthusbk@aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 07:47:53 PDT 2000

I do similar sorts of things, but I use a combination of mozzarella and
provolone.  The spices I use are nutmeg, white pepper and a dash of sugar.  I
have also found that if you slice the turnips before boiling, steam them instead
of boiling them, then layer them between sheets of paper towels, you cut down on
the amount of liquid in the dish once it's cooked.

I use a layer of butter, then turnips, then provolone/mozzarella, then butter,
then sprinkle on the seasonings, then repeat.

I found the recipe in several places, including "Epulario", Platina, Libro de
Arte Coquinaria (translated in "Original Mediteranean Cuisine" by Santich).  I
also used Bishop Geoffrye D'Ayr's (of the East Realm) version he sent me many
years ago.  "Bish" turned me on to the idea of the combined Italian cheeses,
which I have found to be absolutely delicious!

Kiri