Cookery Philosophy (Re: SC - Period Dining Atmosphere_

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 5 07:56:55 PDT 2000

Brandu,

You are more than gracious.  I will certainly take a tankard with you should I make it to Pennsic this year.  MAny plans to arrange in the mean.

Imagine Tsun Tsu as a chef, and a dash more daoism for flavor, and yet get my approach.  My medieval patron is Francis of Assissi who was a zealot of sorts; passionate and agressive in his misson.  He was passionate in his compassion as well.  Those are the models I try to incorporate into my vision of the world.  Cooking is no different for me.

The culinary 'war' is won before even entering the kitchen by setting ones spirit and thoughts to the accomplishment and knowing the 'enemy' (guests) as well as one can before making the plan.  If the 'enemy' challenged is the cooks list here, then what is needed for success is altogether different than satisfying my work colleagues with a perioid presentation of "exotic" food.  (Enemy is ONLY used a metaphor for whoever is on the other end of my efforts).  As I am able to engross in my passion, I am able to present not only food, but also an extension of myself in what I cook for others. I present not only Martino's recipes, but my passions and energies through those recipes.

Sorry, I am getting thoughts running to me and coallescing over the last week or so.

niccolo difrancesco
sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Niccolo, the more I read from you , the more I want to buy you a drink!I hope to be at Pennsic, and I'll give you some of whatever I have to hand
should we both make it.

Folks. Niccolo has explained my exact views on this topic better than ever I
could. I retire from the field, knowing that a better logician has taken it.

Brandu