SC - What is "period"?--off topic

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Apr 5 12:04:17 PDT 2000

>You know what?  I think you folks have just turned my head around.  The
>explanations for "period" given in response to my post have been very, very
>enlightening.  I may just have to re-think (only because I didn't do it
>right
>the first time) my idea of "period" cooking.  This sounds like a whole mess
>of fun.  I'll give it a shot, anyway.
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

and yet, the very same set of messages drove someone else off in a snit.

Newcomers show up expecting everything from "can you tell me how to boil
water" to assistance with quite detailed research that only a few of us can
manage to answer. In any given month the hundreds of posts may be mostly at
one end or the other of that scale--tending toward the research is good
viewpoint.  In my observation, it takes about a month for a newcomer to
realize the list's preference for research and best attempt at recreation
vs. what some define as acceptable creativity.  What we are doing during any
newcomers first month is crucial, dependent greatly on what questions happen
to be asked or what pronouncements have been put forth. I guess it's just
luck, good or bad, that makes newcomers feel intrigued and welcomed vs. hurt
and dismissed.

Bonne