SC - Armored turnips

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Wed Apr 5 19:43:05 PDT 2000

dhaven at rickardlist.com writes:

<< Anyone got some good recipes for killer
 bees?  From what I understand there have been at least 7 nests removed
 recently.  How many bees to a LB of edible substance? Oh...maybe I should
 ask first - *are* killer bees edible? >>

OF COURSE! Doesn't everyone? :-)

These bee recipes are not period, SFAIK. The first 3 are based on recipes
taken from the cookbook 'Entertaining With Insects' by R. L. Taylor and B. J.
Carter. Copyright 1976. ISBN 0-912800-37-2. The fourth one is my own and
particularly nice for snacking during movies or sporting events.

Dry Roasted Bees

Spread fresh, frozen and cleaned bees on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Bake
at 200 deg. F for 1-2 hr. until desired state of dryness is reached. Check
state of dryness by attempting to crush with a spoon.
***

Basic Bee Flour

Dry roasted bees and blend in electric blender until a delicate flour is
produced. The amount of flour resulting from a given quantity of insects
varies with the insect used. One cup of bees reduces to a smaller quantity of
flour than does 1 cup of mealworms.
***
Bee Pastry

1 1/4 cp. flour
1/4 cp. bee flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cp. shortening
2 T water

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a fork or pastry blender. Add
water a little at a time until flour is moistened. Place on a lightly floured
surface and roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a pie pan. Ease
loosely into pan. Trim 1/2 inch from pan. Fold under edge. Flute edges. Hook
points under pan. Fill and bake according to your favorite recipe.
***

Bee-Oatmeal Cookies

(whip up a batch of these oatmeal cookies and put a ''buzz'' back into your
life)

3/4 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cp. honey
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup bee flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp. cloves, ground
2 cup rolled oats

With a wire whisk, cream butter, eggs and vanilla. Add honey and water. In a
separate bowl, blend both flours, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Stir
together, and add oats, mixing thoroughly. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches
apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 350 deg F.
Makes 6 to 7 dozen cookies.
***
Deep Fried Bee Brood
copyright 1986 L. J. Spencer, Jr.

1 cup bee larvae, parboiled
Oil for frying
Salt (or powdered sugar for honey bee larvae)

Drop drained larvae into heated oil. Remove when they are golden brown and
floating. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt or powdered sugar.

Bon apetit!

Yours in Service to the Dream,
Ras