SC - Re Gerard's Herbal

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 20:09:27 PDT 2000

toby.cobb at comdial.com writes:

<< Hey, Cooks!  How do y'all run your redaction groups?

   Yours in Service
 Toby of Isenfir >>

Personally, I just go to the kitchen and roll up my sleeves, open the
translated document and cook. :-)

I do a redaction class at Pennsic though that is very basic. I bring a copy
of Caraidoc's cookbook collection and separate it into the individual
manuscripts. I let the group divide itself up into manageable groups. Each
group chooses a cookbook and then among them selves picks out a page then a
recipe randomly. Each group then brain storms the recipe and presents their
redaction to the whole after a set time period. (I remain available to answer
any questions and wander among the groups as they work. Those that do not
have any primary sources are invited to take one of the manuscript sections
with them when they leave.

I don't know if this is that effective or not but it appears to get people
comfortable with working from period sources or there translations rather.
The class was very well attended last year. Unfortunately, I will not be
teaching it again until 2001 at Pennsic.

Many of those on the list attended. Perhaps it would be better if they
commented on the class and whether they thought it was worth the effort.

Ras