SC - Re Gerard's Herbal

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 01:54:33 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/6/00 12:35:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
> writes:
>
> > > Yeah, I'll give this a go.  When's the deadline, and do we actually have
> >  > have cooked it by then, or just redacted the recipe?

> >  Kinda hard to do any redacting without doing some cookin', ain't it? ;-)

> Not really, if we are using the same definition of "redaction":
> re-dact: To prepare, as for publication;  edit;  revise  2.) To draw up or
> frame, as a message or edict. (Funk and Wagnall's Standard Desk Dictionary,
> V2 1984)
> Is this the one you were thinking of?

Not really. I think of redaction (didn't we just hash over this about
two months ago?) as taking the medieval recipe and essentially working
out a version usable in a modern kitchen- measured amounts, etc. While
*doing*, that is cooking it, we do the revising, etc that you refer to.
The recipes in the _Miscellany_ are redactions, and you can bet your
firstborn that Cariadoc and Elizabeth did some cooking before publishing
those recipes.

BTW- I've been wondering- do you ever sleep? or work? or leave the
computer? My mail volume from Cooks' has shot up significantly since
you've been posting and I don't know about anyone else but I'm having
trouble keeping up. I mean no offense but perhaps you could think about
consolidating things or taking some off-line?

'Lainie