SC - Brussel sprouts

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Thu Apr 6 08:54:05 PDT 2000

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, william wheeler wrote:
>
> > *you are kidding Right?*
>
> Not really.
>
> > the duchy of Normandy was not "period to Western culture?"
> > If Vikings weren't "period to Western culture?" then the Duchy of
> > Normandy was not also
> > ( why do you think it was call the Duchy of *Normandy* ( in 900 Vikings
> > took it over))
>
> Yes, the vikings took over Normandy, but the society was rather quickly
> tranformed from the scandinavian one to a different one. Remember that
> what happened in Normandy was that a new ruling class was created, one
> of scandinavian decent, on top of an original population. By 1066 (and
> all that) the Norman society was pretty much your normal continental
> feudal one. This was both
>
> /UlfR
>  sorry Papa, I'll try to stay on topic better in the future

No need to apologize at all. This was a wonderful discussion and the
perfect foil to what could have been a flaming type question. You answered
with scholarship and didn't rise to emotional bait that was dangled. And
I found the subject very interesting.

Thank you,

Gunthar