SC - Goat

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 16:46:40 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Do you think that, perhaps, those same Masters
 altered the recipes they had been taught, once they gained the position
which
 would allow it? >>

Yes, I do. We have evidence of that in the recipes which appear in widely
varying times which have subtle and not so subtle changes. Forme of Curry is
a number of manuscripts across a time span which shows varying degrees of
changes to the same recipe.

One of the first cooking articles I ever published in our local newsletter
was on redacting recipes. I chose a chicken recipe (now lost in the files).
That recipe, followed exactly, produced a soup, a fritter or a meat loaf
depending on quantities of each ingredient. All were really good eating.
Which ones were correct? Most likely the fritter now that I am more aware of
the subject. ;-) But who really knows? :-) The point being is that the best
advice I can think of for new SCA cooks is find some period recipes, beg,
borrow or otherwise attain the ingredients, roll up your sleeves and get thee
hence to the kitchen. There really is no other way, IMO, to develop either
redactions or personal style and experience. ;-) Best of all , I think  those
efforts are just as valid as  anyone else's.

Ras