SC - Changing Headers

Peldyn@aol.com Peldyn at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 20:04:10 PDT 2000

    Actually, I think peasant grub is pretty much peasant grub wherever you
go. They don't have fancy-schmancy spices, exotic cooking utensils / vessels
or recorded recipes, and they eat whatever they can get their hands on.
Variants are determined largely by available ingredients, cultural
traditions, and religious taboos.
    What we're re-creating is what the upper classes ate, because that's
what got written down. Peasants were illiterate, right? I doubt very
seriously that there was much cross-cultural contact between the Italians
and the Irish; the profit potential simply wasn't there, and there was no
political imperative, either. Now, Scots - French, yes! (Yeah! Haggis au
Vin!!) Or Byzantine - Venetian . . . (Couscous al fresco?)

    Sieggy