SC - Re: Gerard's Herbal

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Thu Apr 6 22:45:34 PDT 2000

Akim Yaroslavich said:

> Lord Frederich,
> Where do you live?  Your location will have a great deal to
> do with what you can succesfully grow out of Gerard.  I have
> spent at least 15 years researching period sources and have
> compliled a rather lengthy (700-800 species) listing by Latin
> names and modern names of period trees, fruits, flowers
> and  vegetables.  In most cases I have found and listed
> which of the modern varieties are the original stock and
> not modern hybrids.  I have grown at least 80% of them at
> one time or another in my vast Elizabethean gardens.
> Regretably, the list is on my ancient Mac hard drive and I have
> never transfered the data to my PC.  I have a hard copy around
> here somewhere, but I would have to photocopy it and send
> it to you via US Snail.

oooh. I want! *** I want this *** Can I? Can I?

Having glanced at the ten or more digests I still have to go, I think
there may be some discussions on retrieving this data from your
ancient (that means it is over five years old, right?) drive.

If I have to, I'll work from a paper copy and OCR it into my machine.
Of course, the latin could be a problem since I would have no idea
whether the characters that the OCR program thought it saw would be
correct or not. But I could scan it in and then email it to you for
cleanup and proofing.

Please don't let this effort go to waste. If you aren't willing to
let me add it to the Florilegium, please let the SCA researchers get
to it elsewhere.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net