SC - Brussel sprouts

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Apr 7 10:35:30 PDT 2000

 << So, does a 14th century Saracen dish which contains safflower
> rather than  saffron detract from our much adored atmosphere?  Nope.
Balthazar

> Agreed. But IMO, it does make it a period-like dish using a period
> recipe as the source of inspiration. Unless, of course, it can be
documented
> that safflower was used as a substitute in that particular dish when
> saffron was not available.
> Ras

I don't know about the use of it as a substitute for cooking, but there
was a law against using tumeric to dye cloth and calling it saffron-dyed.
 (I believe this might have been in England or maybe Belgium, it was
associated with one of the textile guilds).  If there was a law against
it, somebody was doing it.
Christianna