OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:46:53 PDT 2000

>Greetings to this fair assembly,
>
>     I am looking for a primary source reference for either a Ballotine of
>Pork, or Gallantine.  ...  I have plenty of great modern
>recipes for these, but am looking for something documentable.
>
>In service to the Crown,
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

Balthazar,

I noticed no one has responded to this yet, so I will.

Researching last winter for the feast I did last spring, I came across a
recipe that could be interpreted as lifting the skin from the hen carcass,
boning the naked carcass, and then putting the meat plus sausage(?) back
into the skin.  It was a stretch to interpret it this way, if you hadn't
heard of the technique you might interpret it as stuffing between the
carcass and the skin w/ sausage.  Or stuffing the usual cavities with
sausage. The recipe is very vague, but it does have these odd, incomplete
instructions.

I know where my notes ought to be, they ought to be buried behind the
storage bins and stuff piled in the dining room while I organize my next
feast.  Which means it's not easily accesible until after the 15th.  So,

ask me again at that time, if no one else has responded.

It was in one of the commonly available cookbooks, I'm pretty sure a version
is in "7 centuries of English cooking" (not the exact title I don't think)
but that's not the best version of the original.  Perhaps I may have
triggered someone's memory of this recipe and they will find it for you
before I can.

Bonne