SC - OOP - Gwynydd of Culloden's Good Turkish Delight

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sat Apr 8 08:59:30 PDT 2000

>Researching last winter for the feast I did last spring, I came across a
>recipe that could be interpreted as lifting the skin from the hen carcass,
>boning the naked carcass, and then putting the meat plus sausage(?) back
>into the skin.

Hello!

Le Menagier has 2 recipes for this - Stuffed Poultry and Farced Chickens.
The latter says: "They be first blown up and all the flesh within taken
out, then filled up with other meat, then coloured or glazed..."  The
former says "leave in their skin the legs, the wings, the neck and all the
head and the feet" and then stuff the otherwise empty skin with a mixture
of meats, chicken livers, eggs, cheese, and spices.  The partial text in
French is here: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/  The full text in
English is here:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

HTH,