SC - [Fwd: [Shire X] Those burger king pictures]

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Apr 9 20:00:21 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/9/00 7:15:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Peldyn at aol.com
writes:

<< Zatar- Thymbra spicata>>

OK. I am presuming that you are associating this word with za'atar. The
references I have in all my middle eastern collection indicates that za'atar
and zatar although both used are, in fact, distinctively different from each
other and not used interchangeably.

 <<Zatar tastes like hearty thyme and is famous in Arabic and North African
 cooking.>>

Possibly. I do not have any cookbooks from Saudi Arabia. However, I have 3
generalized North African cookbooks and I have not found it as an ingredient
in recipes from either book. Perhaps it occurs in a more regionally specific
cuisine? Which part of North Africa? Ethiopia, Egypt, Libya?

Za'atar has a distinct lemony flavor caused by the sumac which, contrary to
posted information is the predominate ingredient (1 T compared to 1/2 to 1
tsp of each of the other ingredients posted in the recipe). Both a Turkish
friend and a Lebanese friend have told me that they are unaware of any
za'atar recipes which contain zatar since this thread started. They do
confirm the occasional use of zatar in home based cooking.

Zatar does NOT appear in any translated medieval middle eastern recipes that
I can find while sumac appears with regularity.

This is a mystery but I am sure  that between the posters interested we can
work it all out in the end. :-)

<< Peldyn >>