SC - [Fwd: [Shire X] Those burger king pictures]

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Apr 9 21:10:36 PDT 2000

"James F. Johnson" wrote:

> Typically, in South An Tir/Summits, there seems to be the common
> understanding that one stays out of the kitchen unless they are part of
> the kitchen steward's staff. Generally, with the occasional exception.
> This includes on-site volunteers, who become part of the staff at that
> time, hence the kitchen remains 'closed', with some exceptions. But
> then, again, our feasts tend to be very small, from 30-100 most of the
> time. And finding a dishwasher tends not to be a problem down here. It'd
> be harder to keep Mistress Alys _out_ of the dish sink (she's our
> notorious dishwashing Pelican - she looks forward to washing dishes)

And she's cheeful about it and doesn't pull the 'martyr' bit...

> I personally am _very_ proprietary about _MY_ kitchen and _MY_ staff.
> People just wandering in like it was any other room in the hall will
> tend to be directed to their work station with instructions and thanks
> for 'volunteering'. I may not need the help, but I have no reason to
> encourage hanging out in my kitchen. Or maybe I'll just stare through
> them while fingering the edge of my 12' chef knife, then smile happily.

I know this smile. If you see it, you should run. ;-)

> This last Investiture feast was attended by the King, who at one point
> entered the kitchen (I think he was after the coffee in the back....). I
> _almost_ handed him a paring knife and a bowl of vegetables, but gave
> him benefit of the doubt because he was from out of the area......true,
> his kingdom, but my kitchen, my feast. Same goes for my people. The may
> have murdered someone out in the hall, but you don't mess with them.
> They are _mine_. (these being the ones that I invited to help cook, not
> the hapless souls that wandered in unwittingly)

And the hapless soul coordinating the serving? ;-)

> Playing croquet with radishes has been known to draw me out of the
> kitchen, big spoon in hand.....:)

I thought that was the olives. Were they playing croquet, or golf? And
that was Baron Sir Ataius and his axe with some of the King's
handmaidens... and uh-oh, here comes the cook, his eyes wide, and a
spoon in his hand!...

'Lainie