SC - Staff rewards

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 06:22:26 PDT 2000

> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:36:53 EDT
> From: Seton1355 at aol.com
> Subject: SC - mustard or not.....not!
>
> I know I asked not to discuss religion on list but I really need an
> intelligent anser for this one.  Could someone please explain to me how a
> mustard seed is a legume.
> Thanks Phillipa
>
> << ************
>  Philippa:
>  Firstly, thanx Francine for your prompt answer. The Rabbi From AKC (Atlanta
>  Kashrut Commission) told me today the answer. Mustard seed is kitniot, or
>  legumes.
>  -Shel.
>
>  > << Mustard is not KLP for Ashkenazim
>   >>

Hmmm. I wonder, with respect to the various people involved, whether
they are too busy studying the various scriptures to pick up a basic
biology text or even a dictionary. The only thing I can think of is that
either A) all _seeds_ are off-limits apart from the approved, guaranteed
forms of wheat used for matzoh (which gives rise to interesting
questions about things like peppercorns), or B) that "legume" is an
imperfect English translation of "kitniot", resulting in mustard, which
I don't think _is_ a legume, being legitimately classified as kitniot
under its true definition. Whatever that may be ;  ) .

On the other hand, I seem to have a problem with religious authority
figures anyway...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy