SC - Open/Closed Kitchens

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 07:03:00 PDT 2000

Stefan, I just tapped my new fall cider, and while dry, it is getting very nice.
I bottled it three or four weeks ago.

Your first problem was method.
Definitely use a Food processor/food mill to crush the apples. The blender
is just the wrong tool. If you have to use a blender, Grate the apples first.
Take the pulp and put into a straining bag or cheese cloth and press or
wring out the cider.

Both times you had contamination from wild microbes.
the first time was contamination by wild mold, the second by acetobacter,
or wild vinegar "mother".

Definitely sterilize all equipment with a liberal washing of a good sterilent.
I have found that I get good results from CBrite, which you can get on line,
or from a local brew store. It is not sulfated and dries without undo rinsing.
Definitely use fermentation locks on all ferment vessels.
Some people say you can use a sheet of plastic over the pail with a rubber
band, but this is only marginally effective. I have never had luck with it.

I would also suggest that you try pasteurizing your apples by heating it to
150 degrees and holding it for a half hour. Don't boil it, unless you are doing
something special, like adding spices. Let it cool in a sink full of Ice water
till it is less than 110 degrees before adding yeast, though.
You'll need to maintain this kind of microbial control until you have
replaced the local environmental wild yeasts with those which are
desireable.
You can add a natural apple juice concentrate at this time to "Boost
the cider" if you like. I find that these are cheap at the local supermarket.
as long as no preservative compounds are added to the concentrate this
is perfectly fine.
If you are sulfate tolerant, a few campden tablets at the start are good for
controlling process contamination, but you'll want a yeast that is tolerant
of sulfates, such as Pasteur Champagne ( which makes a VERY dry cider ).
I'd suggest not using sulfates if you use an ale or lager yeast, as they will
skunk the cider.

Since you are kinnling the wild good microbes along with the wild bad
microbes, you'll need to add a yeast culture.
Two recomendations: pick a good yeast, and makes sure that you
started it well before you get to work on the apples.
I get a quart jug of pastureized apple juice (no preservatives), and fit it
with a fermentation lock, and put the yeast there at least a week
beforehand.
A vigorous yeast is your best friend, it becomes the "big bully on the
block" and rapidly out competes other michrobes for the sugars in the
Cider. This helps to eliminate molds and wild yeasts.

Just some hints.

Brandu