SC - cider

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Tue Apr 11 13:21:21 PDT 2000

> First, about sterilizing or sulfiting to kill off the "bad" wild yeasts and
> bacteria:  This has been the subject of much controversy among cider
> makers.  The advantage is that the outcome is much more predictable;
> nothing will happen until you pitch yeast, and then you will get only the
> results from the yeast variety that you selected.  If you have had previous
> bad experience, this may be a good way to restore confidence.

Which is why I suggested it.
When I used these techniques, I did not have "bad luck"
When I did not, I occasionally got "stygian tomb dust in a bottle"
YMMV.

> OTOH, if you use sterile containers and good-quality juice (don't press any
> rotten apples), I think sterilizing the juice is not necessary.  It
> certainly isn't period.  Pasteurized apple juice does not taste the same -
> it loses the "fresh" apple taste - and the fermented cider will not taste
> the same either.  Pasteurizing pear juice is really a bad idea (speaking
> from experience) because, in addition to the taste effect, it will cause a
> thick brown haze in the fermented product that cannot be cleared.

I agree. I have not tried perry, but pasteurized juice lacks a little sharpness.
OTOH, pasteurized juice is more dependable for the novice (I consider
myself still a novice BTW), which, again, is why I suggested it.

A note to home pressers of apples, an occaisional spoonful of lemon
juice in the crusher will help eliminate the "brown goo" effect ( though it
does affect the final taste - don't use very much)

> The important thing is to have a really active yeast "starter" to pitch
> into your cider. <snip> (I have actually done this with a cider where mold began
> growing on the surface - just skimmed off the colonies, pitched yeast, and
> voila!  No more mold growth.)

Wow... I'm impressed at your fortitude!
Never had the guts to try this, myself!! What made you do it?

> Another way is to ferment in a clear glass container;
> when the sugar is gone, the yeast goes dormant and falls to the bottom,
> "clearing" the cider.

I was advised to wait until the Fermentation lock stops bubbling and then
add two months (I think listeneing to a cellar closet full of bubbling carboys
beats watching a balloon blow up any day, btw ;-) )

The purpose of this is to encourage the cider to go still, and start the
Malolactic ferment, which it does not like to do in increased pressures.
My cider is still. after about 3 months I rack it off the lees ( and there will
be a lot of them!! ) as it is very clear by then, into another carboy, and
wait. ( I start in a 6 1/2 Gallon carboy, and rack it over to a 5 gal carboy.
About 3/4 gallon of lees is at the botton, as opposed to ither methods
which have only a quart or so, Since the apple solids which make
pressed cider cloudy fall to the bottom.
The final 1/2 to 3/4 gal of clear cider is put into the fridge for cooking,
and the occasional curious sip. (though I am thinking of getting a vinegar
barrel... )

After a while the lock starts bubbling just a little, and that means the M_L has
started. when that is over, I bottle.

> and trying for a malo-lactic fermentation in medieval containers sounds
> like a great recipe for vinegar.

Malolactic in a glass carboy is perfectly fine, and if the cider is bottled
after the M_L ferment, it is drinkable within a week.
Keep the carboys locked, and use a clean sterile carboy when you
rack it, and there is no problem.
I do not know about Barrels for the purpose, but as soon as I can afford a
few, I will be experimenting with the methods.

brandu