SC - An Elderly Cookbook.- An Adventure in Recent History ;-)

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 11 18:03:10 PDT 2000

- --- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> I have some conflicting references (tertiary and
> quaternary sources at best)
> for brussels sprouts which place them anywhere from
> the 13th Century to the
> 18th Century.
>
> The best potential reference I have seen is that
> brussels sprouts and
> kohlrabi are first mentioned in Rembert Dodoens'
> (Dodonaeus) "Cruydeboek" of
> 1554.  I have not been able to locate a copy of this
> work to verify the
> statement.  The original work is in Dutch.
>
> Bear

It was translated into English in 1578 and called "A
Nievve Herball, or Historie of Plantes"

Lots of libraries have various editions of this in
English, Dutch, and French.

You can find this in these libraries:

Yale
Harvard
Library of Congress
Brigham Young Univ.
Univ. of Minnesota
Univ. of Syracuse
Univ. of Rochester, NY
Univ. of Chicago
Univ. of Calif. Berkeley
Stanford Univ.
Univ. of Iowa
Columbia
Temple Univ.
Univ. of Pennsylvania
Brown Univ.
Univ. of Michigan
Univ. of Florida
British Library

There is a library in Missouri that has this also, but
they are new to RLIN and are not on my list of RLIN
subscribers yet.

This book also has been translated into Japanese and
is called "Ensai Dodoneusu Somokufu"!

Huette