SC - Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Mongolian hot pot for a meal?

Richard Keith keith.78 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 12 07:26:42 PDT 2000

- --- Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu (Marian Deborah Rosenberg)
> wrote:
>Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:51:48 -0700
>From: Catherine Keegan <keegan at mcn.org>
>Subject: Re: SC - Apples for Cider more hints.
>
>If you do this, then as brandu points out you will need to wait several
>months after bottling and hope for a good malo-lactic fermentation.
>
>---
>Well now I'm confuzzled.  Every year we go to a local orchard that sell
>unpasteurized juice.  We buy at least 10 gallons of their "apple cider" for a
>party.  These plastic jugs sit out on the porch in the weather which can be
>above or below freezing but is usually quite cold.  It takes about a day or two
>to have slightly alcoholic cider that is just yummy!
>
>how is this so?
>
>-M

The malo-lactic fermentation produce no alcohol IIRC.
Your jugs on the porch are probably suject to wild yeast (from the apple skins) fermentation since the juice is unpasteurized.  The temperature being below freezing will only slow down the process, not kill off the yest since the sugar/alcohol content will lower the freezing point.  I've had lager yeast from Brewers Choice survive -9C/16F for 12 hours or so.
The sugar/alcohol content will not lower the freezing point that much in itself but the freezing process is done slowly (as opposed to dipping the jugs in liquid N2).
This causes ice chrystals to form slowly which will produce very clean ice, without (not completely though) impurities such as alcohol or sugars.  When more and more of the water is bound up in ice chrystals the freezing point of the remaining liquid will drop since the sugar/alcohol concentration is raised.  The biggest danger for the yeast cells in the remaining liquid will be the crushing weight of the formed ice.  If the yeast cell wall is ruptured and it's biological activity will be lost, at least regarding the conversion of sugars into alcohol which involves several enzymes.  The individual enzymes will, if treated gently, still have biological activity but their life expectancy is severely shortened when they're naked outside of the cell.

Angus MacIomhair and his 0.18 SEK

==
There is only one good -- knowledge;
and only one evil -- ignorance.